Sushi is a passion of mine. It started out as a hobby, but then food allergies took over and, well, it was really all I could eat. I spent many hours and much of my undergraduate earnings in pursuit of sweet, sweet sushi, and so far Toronto hasn't disappointed me.
Of the five million or so sushi joints in Toronto, here's a few places I and my roommates recommend:
Gallery Sushi
275 Dundas Street West
This sushi-teria is part of OCAD's massive labyrinth of fast food joints, so it caters to the starving waif student artist customer archetype. They offer pretty decent food at cheap prices, and have daily roll specials at two six-piece choices for $5 - these include California rolls, sake, crab, ebi, and a number of spicy variations. Dinner can get pricey if you order everything off the menu, though. My roommates and I managed to have a late dinner at about $10 a person and we're pleased to report we were full for the rest of the evening, which lasted all of about two hours. Still, it's worth a few more visits.
Ideal Deli Sushi
105 Richmond Street West, Unit 3
I came across this place today, blind from the cold, biting wind that chased me down Bay Street following an interview. I had to blink a few times before I could read their photocopied menu, but they offer amazing sushi at cheap prices, although it's really meant to be a take-out place. There were a few stools against a window, so I had a quick bite there while I watched a few cars pass. They offer good specials on sashimi (12 pieces for $10) and the daily special includes twelve pieces of sushi with miso soup for $5.50. The owners are nice, and as it's a relatively forgotten child of the Ichiban Sushi franchise, the presentation was great, the food was even better, and I left feeling like a fat Buddha. Highly recommended.
Ichiban Sushi
Three locations at 58 Wellington Street East, 262 Queen's Quay West, and 750 King Street West
Okay, in all fairness, I haven't yet eaten at the Toronto versions of this franchise (minus the one mentioned above), but I used to frequent the one in Burlington (Ontario, that is). I've generally found the food to be amazing, with good presentation and a decent price. As such, I'm recommending it without ever having eaten there, but I'm pretty sure it's great. If not, I will personally buy you a sushi lunch if you can prove you had a bad experience. Oh wait - kidding! I'm unemployed and broke, so nyah.
I Love Sushi
494 Queen Street West
This is a roommate's recommendation, though I've had their stuff also and it's pretty darn good. It's reasonably priced as well, but I don't know much about the atmosphere - I've only had take-out. The sashimi has been recommended, and I've seen one combo that includes a pepper seared tuna that looks like a take on rare ahi tuna, and I hear the butterfish is the best in Toronto. Overall: Good.
HoSu
Two locations: 254 Queen Street West and 2352 Yonge Street
HoSu is one of my favourite sushi places in Toronto. It has a very diverse menu at very reasonable prices, and it's always crowded. In fact, that's the only downside. Sometimes there's a wait for a table, but it's fast and cheap, and a good place to take a date (hopefully not one that's fast and cheap). My food generally arrives about 5 minutes after I've placed an order, and the waitresses are very accommodating. The only incident I've ever had was during my last birthday, when I tried to make reservations for 16. There was a maximum of 8 for reservations, I was told, so I had a friend call in a second table for me. The waitresses were a little flustered when our groups merged in the back area, and ever more so when about a dozen extra people arrived and there was nowhere for them to sit (I'm still very sorry, everyone, by the way). But other than that, HoSu is great. Small parties recommended.
Oishi Kada
280 Augusta Avenue, Kensington Market
I went here the other day to join a former professor for lunch. We both had a nice little dining experience, though the restaurant didn't have a bathroom (me and my tiny bladder). It's also reasonably priced, and the sushi is really good. Some of the sauces and dips need a bit of work, but the ginger-carrot salad dressing was great, my professor said. We both agreed it's well worth a return visit, and it seems to be the only sushi place in Kensington. There are also Sunday take-out specials that are worth a mention, with various rolls going for a couple bucks and other take-out options at cheap prices. They also deliver, and it's my dream to have fresh sushi delivered to my door someday. Someday.
Monday, November 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment