I just realized that today is one month to the day I left home and came to live in Toronto as a recent (unemployed) university graduate. I've been thinking about writing a blog lately, of the things to see and do in Toronto and the interesting situations I seem to find myself in. So, without further ado, here it is.
Since moving to Toronto, I haven't gone out much. Money has been the main factor as of late, as my employment is periodic and I have quite a few expenses, including a car. I seem to be lucky enough to land enough freelance work to pay the rent and for groceries, and a pack of smokes or two, but not enough to have a night out on the town. I've been feeling very Julia Martin lately, and hope that changes soon - I don't eat out nearly as much as she does. I've been looking for cheap eats and free events to go to, which I'll write more on later.
I had a few extra bucks this weekend, so I spent most of Saturday at the first annual Toronto Palestine Film Festival. They were sympathetic to students and the unemployed, so every two hours or so cost me about $5, and it was well worth the change in my pockets. I plan to post reviews on the screenings later when I'm not so sleep-deprived - the garbage trucks and streetcars are loud at night - and I can put together some thoughts on them. A lot of the movies tackled very weighty subjects, and I think the organizers did an excellent job of choosing relevant materials and putting together a great closing day, so kudos. I'm looking forward to next year.
I learned one lesson this weekend, and that's to keep a camera on me at all times. Apparently, I met Leisha Hailey on Halloween night, but I was too far gone to notice. I was trying to save money by having a few Halloween drinks at home, but I wasn't feeling well and for some reason, two drinks hit me like a ton of bricks. I would expect more from my liver, as I am Russian by blood, but it seemed to undergo some massive shutdown and the night was a blur. (Ed. Note: The result may have been due to a kidney infection, which was later remedied with gallons of water and cranberry juice and a strong course of antibiotics). It was unfortunate, because I managed to make it all the way out to Church Street for some street party my roommate was excited about, but didn't make it any farther than the Veda Pita shop's washroom. I have a hazy recollection of the food at Veda Pita; the stew I was eating was very good (tasted Moroccan, from my recollection), but the paratha was a little gooey and didn't sit so well in my stomach. I'll go back some other time and try the food properly - Moroccan stew isn't really an ideal meal for me anyway.
My break's over now, so I have to get back to work. Until next time...
Monday, November 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment